Emergency School Closing
There are several ways to find out if school is closed.
- Watch for an e-mail and/or text message from the district’s mass notification system. Have you changed your email address or phone number since registration? Please call your school secretary to update your information.
- Visit Northbrook28.net, where alerts will be posted.
- If you participate in Facebook or Twitter, an update will be posted on the district's page.
- Local media outlets also show the Emergency Closing System where the district posts closing information along with all other metro area schools.
How do we make our decision?
We make the decision to open or close the schools in inclement weather based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from our transportation provider and from our buildings and grounds department: We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous roads in the District.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulation and whether it is continuing.
- Building conditions (such as whether we have electricity and heat).
- Parking lot conditions: Administrators talk to maintenance and custodial staff members who are responsible for clearing and treating school parking lots and sidewalks.
- Temperature and wind chill: some of our students walk to school and others must wait outside for the bus. School is closed when there is a Wind-Chill Warning, which is typically issued when the wind chill will be -30 degrees Fahrenheit or colder, and the winds are greater than or equal to 10 mph, OR the actual temperature is -15° F.
- Weather predictions: We prefer not making our decision based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. However, sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other school districts are doing: We make our decision in cooperation with other Northbrook area elementary districts and with Glenbrook North High School.